The ruinous medieval Dominican Cloister is one of the remarkable attractions by the Fisherman’s Bastion in the Buda Castle District in Budapest.
Rather than standing alone as a separate sight, the medieval walls, the various ruins of Gothic arches were incorporated into the sleek modern building of the five star hotel in the Buda Castle District, today known as the Hilton Budapest Hotel. The churchyard is often used as a spacious venue for open-air parties, wedding ceremonies or concerts.
History of the Dominican Churchyard
The Dominican Saint Nicholas Cloister was built in the mid 13th century.
The remains of the demolished cloister building was found during the restoration of the Fisherman’s Bastion in 1902. After 4 years of archeological excavations, the hotel was built upon the ruins in the 1970’s. The remains of the cloister separates the hotel building into a northern and southern wing.
Visiting the Dominican Cloister and Churchyard
You can visit the interior parts of the ruins any time – this area is easily accessible via the main entrance of Hilton Budapest through the Lobby Bar on the left side.
The exterior Dominican Cloister courtyard is unfortunately not for visitors, but can be seen from the Fisherman’s Bastion.