The building of the Gothic style Buda Castle Royal Palace started in the mid 14th century, and lasted almost until the end of the 15th century. Along the years, several monarchs extended and decorated the buildings.
During the Turkish occupation (15th-16th century) the palace suffered major damages. The renovations started in 1715, but the main restoration and re-building was completed in the early 1900’s with the cooperation of 2 famous Hungarian architects: Miklos Ybl and Alajos Hauszmann.
Based on their plans, the floor area of the Castle has been doubled, and the main building has received its distinctive Baroque dome. The works were finished by 1905, and the new building was inaugurated by King Franz Joseph (even though he has never slept one night in the Castle).
Most of the photos below are part of the album published by Alajos Hauszmann in 1911.