The regal suits of the Buda Castle were located on the 1st floor, and were accessible via a monumental stairway. From the landing area, the symmetrically arranged suites opened to both the north and south directions. The most beautiful suite, with a wonderful panorama of the Gellert Hill was intended to be Franz Joseph’s bedroom, however he never used it.
The rooms on the 2nd floor were originally planned to hold the Holy Crown and the coronation jewels, and would have been served as a royal treasury, but they have never been used.
Instead, leading from a separate hall, they installed a small museum in memory of Queen Elisabeth “Sisi”, who had been murdered in 1898 in Geneva by an Italian anarchist.
Most of the photos below are part of the album published by Alajos Hauszmann in 1911.